Wedding planning is new to most couples.
Planning a wedding is a big job, even for an experienced professional. But those new to wedding planning (due to lack of experience) just doesn’t know what they don’t know. As a result, there may be blank spots and missing knowledge; uncertainty getting in the way of enjoying the creative process of wedding planning.
Couples in this situation would benefit from consulting with experienced event professionals.
Hello. My name is Eric Zimmermann.
I am a DJ, Master of Ceremonies, Pianist, Bandleader and Host of Wedding & Event Podcast. My wife Sheila and I founded Elegant Music in 1990.
The Itinerary SKETCH by Elegant Music
A celebration starts with music as guests arrive.
Music continues throughout the event with the occasional break for announcements.
Each part of your celebration can have its own music.
I am not a Wedding Planner or a Wedding Coordinator, however, as a DJ/Master of Ceremonies and professional musician and am very interested in a well-written itinerary.
An Itinerary Sketch is an Organizing Tool
- A well-written itinerary shows the progression of the event.
- An itinerary sketch helps couples who are new to wedding planning envision their special day. It can be done before you have a location or even a wedding date. It’s fun to do. It’s free and very creative.
Aligning Vendor Services.
- Often couples new to wedding planning don’t know what questions to ask a vendor. A well written itinerary sketch is a communication to your wedding vendors that shows a lot about your wedding. Sharing your sketch with your prospective vendors starts the conversation.
- A couple can use an itinerary sketch to align the services of the vendors they will be hiring. For example: Take your itinerary sketch when meeting with your Location, Caterer, Florist, Musicians or Photographer. Share your sketch with your prospective vendors. The itinerary sketch shows when you will be needing their services.
- Getting an accurate quote from a vendor is much easier with an itinerary sketch to refer to. Before giving a quote the vendor will want to understand your wedding. An itinerary sketch communicates a lot about your wedding to a potential wedding vendor.
- In the early stages of planning, items on the itinerary sketch can be moved around and viewed one way and then another. The client and vendors can see the relationship between activities and can plan accordingly.
- Discuss your itinerary sketch with each vendor you meet with. Wedding vendors are creative people. They will be more than happy to talk with you give you helpful advice.
- On the “day of” wedding vendors given a copy of the completed itinerary can predict what is coming up in the event and will be in the right place at the right time and ready for the next activity. Actually it is better that your vendors receive your itinerary well in advance of your wedding day.
Organizing A Full Evening of Entertainment
- Many activities and services will come together on the day of your wedding. Your Itinerary sketch shows when activities such as toasts, music, food service will occur. It is a very good idea to work all of this out ahead of time and make sure that it all makes sense, before your wedding day.
- The itinerary will develop and change as planning becomes complete. Once done or nearly done, it is easy to see your wedding day at a glance. There is peace of mind (for everyone) in a well-written itinerary.
With a little guidance from an experienced event professional a couple could (and should) compose their own Itinerary SKETCH. This will help them gain more certainty about their wedding and make planning easier.
Note: To help define the scope of service, every agreement/contract by Elegant Music includes an itinerary sketch. For reference, please see downloadable itinerary sketches at this link: A Full Evening of Entertainment.
Live Music & DJ/Master of Ceremonies
- For many reasons I think it is important to include scripted announcements as part of the itinerary. For example: Some DJs may talk too much; or improvise and say inappropriate things. Have your Master of Ceremonies submit to you a script of the announcements he will be making. Read and approve or disapprove his proposed announcements. Then, you will have some control over what your MC will say. For me as a DJ/Master of Ceremonies, rehearsed scripted announcements is part of being prepared for the gig.
- An agreed upon itinerary assists the coordinator and Master of Ceremonies to maintain a smooth flow as the event progresses from one activity to the next. For example: While the current presenter is presenting, the coordinator is making sure the next presenter is in the ready position (or at least in the room) and lets them know they are next to speak.
- Your wedding coordinator after considering many factors will have the final word on the itinerary.
Enjoy Planning Your Wedding
“Wedding Stress” can be alleviated by a well-written itinerary. This is something that couples can do themselves. With a little guidance from an experienced event professional, couples and their families can enjoy planning and have a beautiful, successful celebration.
I offer this help free of charge because it is very needed and fun to do :-)
Sincerely, Eric Zimmermann
Elegant Music 626-797-1795