Hello: My name is Eric Zimmermann. I am a DJ and Master of Ceremonies, Pianist and Band Leader. Phone: 626-797-1795.
Master of Ceremonies “The Man Out Front”
At an event the Master of Ceremonies represents the host. At a wedding for example he has the responsibility of representing the bride, groom and their families to their guests. The Master of Ceremonies or “MC” greets guests and sets the tone of the evening. He is the man out front. A professional master of ceremonies is organized and helpful with a friendly demeanor.
The job of the Master of Ceremonies is to:
- Direct the attention of the audience…
- Make announcements and…
- Conduct the festivities in a professional manner.
Talk to DJ/Master of Ceremonies
Common Concern “DJs that Talk Too Much”
Many couples I meet with express concern about how their MC will conduct himself during their event. They don’t want the MC to “talk too much” or to “steal the show.” Your MC for your wedding should always work from a script approved ahead of time by you and your coordinator. We have all heard inappropriate remarks, wise cracks and “improvisation” done by a DJ/MC who plain and simple “just wasn’t working from a script.”
See: A Wedding Itinerary and Script for your Master of Ceremonies
How To Test Your Master of Ceremonies Before Your Wedding.
How will your MC represent you on the day of your wedding? For your piece of mind you should do the following:
- Ask your MC for a script from an event he has done in the past and look it over.
- Ask your MC to present you with the script of how he would announce your event for your approval.
- Is it in proper sequence?
- Is it complete?
- Then ask him to read it to you as he would at your special event.
- Does he have his facts straight?
- Did he pronounce names correctly?
- Did he deliver it in a professional manner?
- Ask yourself: “Will he represent me well?”
Choosing Your Master of Ceremonies
Many things come together at a special event. It’s a lot of fun to shop for the right location, the right invitations and to create just the right table setting. You are spending thousands of dollars on your special event to make it the best that it can be. Being just as thoughtful about choosing your Master of Ceremonies will protect your investment and help ensure your wedding or special event is a success.
Sincerely, Eric Zimmermann Elegant Music 323-270-3650
Host of Wedding and Event Podcast